- The GNOME packages are now installed to /usr and not to /opt/gnome anymore - and therefore in the standard place. This allows us to remove a couple of patches and hacks.
- KDE was updated to KDE 3.5.6.
- Linux Kernel updated to 2.6.20 with new hardware support and drivers. With Alpha1, there's no Xen support enabled but this should be fixed in the next Alpha.
- A lot of people have asked for a real minimal text installation - and we have changed the patterns to allow this.
- OpenOffice.org has been updated to version 2.1.
- The whole distribution is build now with -fstack-protector to better guard against some buffer overflows.
- Usage of LUKS by default for crypto partitions in YaST. Both GNOME and KDE handle removable LUKS media now (see the screenshot below).
As usual, all bugs should get reported in our bugzilla as explained in http://bugs.opensuse.org, discussion is most appropriate on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list.
To download media there are links at http://en.opensuse.org/Development_Version#Downloads
The next planned release is Alpha2 in four weeks (March 15th).