Thursday, December 15, 2005

Murphy and 10.1 Alpha4

Today I released SUSE Linux 10.1 Alpha4 - but only the torrents to give our mirrors some time to sync the ISOs. The ISOs will be announced tomorrow.

Alpha4 was not an easy release. First there was a bug writting grub during the installation so that the system did not boot at all. Once this was fixed and grub was written, we found a bug in the graphical boot where there was a bad interaction with grub and therefore the system would only boot with some manual intervention. We also noticed some serious bugs in the ReiserFS code of our kernel - and fixed these two issues. Finally the system installed but I could not login. Looking further into this, we had two problems:

* One on the text console: One of the pam modules is broken and therefore the first time a user logs in on the onsole, an error is reported. A second (or third) login should work.
* And one on the graphical console where the login did not work either - due to some changes in the new bash 3.1 release. The fix is trivial: Login on the console and change /etc/X11/xdm/Xession as follows:

--- /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession 2005-11-21 22:22:10.000000000 +0100
+++ /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession 2005-12-15 12:09:03.000000000 +0100
@@ -102,7 +102,7 @@
*/rzsh) shell=/bin/zsh ;;
*) shell=/bin/bash ;;
esac
- exec -la ${shell} ${shell} -c ${1+"exec $@"}
+ exec -l -a ${shell##*/} ${shell} -c ${1+"exec $@"}
}


Since those two issues should be easily fixable by those that dare to install an Alpha, I went ahead and released this. As usual I've updated my laptop with Alpha4 and I'm now writing this from my Alpha4 environment.

And now - 6 hours after the announcement of the torrents - I figured out that the torrents were not distributed from our system :-(. Ok, fixed and I'm seeding the torrents myself now as well.

4 comments:

JLP said...

Are there any DVD ISOs planned? It is cheapper to burn one DVD than 5 CDs and it is a lot more convinient to use.

Andreas Jaeger said...

JLP, due to the bandwith for and space on our mirrors, we decided to make DVDs only for the final version but not for Alphas.

you can also install via the network if you like.

JLP said...

OK, fair enough. I'm already downloading it using BitTorrent and will keep it seeding for at least a week to help you with the bandwidth. And off course I'll try to test it as much as possible on my laptop. Keep doing a great job!

hobumski said...

Ouch...I've should've read your note about the problems w/ Alpha 4. I couldn't solve the login problem so I just dumped the isos. I also tried to install it in Vmware 5.5 but there was always a hanging issue at the last stage of the installation (hardware configuration, I think).